[Lustre-discuss] Lustre process/system tuning ...

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Thu Jan 31 13:12:47 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm seeing some interesting behaviour from one of the nodes in our cluster
when two applications attempt to read from the Lustre. Specifically, one
application is a real time video player, and the other is just interacting
with the file system conventionally ... but if the player is running, and
another process attempts to walk the same directory, a dozen or more ldlm
kernel threads start, and the machine's CPU load skyrockets (up to 40 or 50,
sometimes).

Are there hooks to limit the number of ldlm threads that get launched, or
ways to lower their priority, or raise the player's priority so that it
maintains its real time performance?

This is for Lustre 1.4.7.

thanks,
Klaus