[Lustre-discuss] multihomed OST's configuration

mdavid david at lip.pt
Mon Jul 7 03:13:08 PDT 2008

hi list
I am a new to lustre (1 week old) and this list.
I have some Dell PE1950 servers with MD1000 enclosures (scientific
linux 5 == RHEL5 x86_54) on them and lustre 1.6.5, with lustre patched
kernels on them

on a first try (indeed it was the second), I managed to have a lustre
up and running OK, now

each dell server has 4 times 1Gb interfaces, and I want to take profit
from them all
either I try bonding them, or go for multihomed (which is my first
try)

I have configured my DNS with 4 ip's and corresponding names, and the
dell server I configured respectively the 4 interfaces, all of them
are now answering correctly to each ip

the problem, after taking a look at this list and reading the same
lines of the ops manual several times, it's not clear to me how do I
change the configuration. So here is what I have on the OST

[root at se003 ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 bnx2
alias eth1 bnx2
alias eth2 e1000
alias eth3 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter megaraid_sas
options lnet networks=tcp(eth0,eth1,eth2,eth3)

after that , and with the OST's umounted I have
tunefs.lustre --writeconf /dev/sdb1 (on each one)

[root at se003 ~]# tunefs.lustre --writeconf /dev/sdb2
checking for existing Lustre data: found CONFIGS/mountdata
Reading CONFIGS/mountdata

   Read previous values:
Target:     LIPlstr-OST0001
Index:      1
Lustre FS:  LIPlstr
Mount type: ldiskfs
Flags:      0x2
              (OST )
Persistent mount opts: errors=remount-ro,extents,mballoc
Parameters: mgsnode=10.1.1.207 at tcp

   Permanent disk data:
Target:     LIPlstr-OST0001
Index:      1
Lustre FS:  LIPlstr
Mount type: ldiskfs
Flags:      0x102
              (OST writeconf )
Persistent mount opts: errors=remount-ro,extents,mballoc
Parameters: mgsnode=10.1.1.207 at tcp

Writing CONFIGS/mountdata

and mount some of them again without problem, but
lctl > list_nids
10.100.1.51 at tcp

10.100.1.51 is the ip of the eth1, the others do not show up, I
suppose they should

or should I use the lctl network commands on the MDS/MDT (both on one
machine)
to get all the routes somehow?

thanks in advance

cheers