[Lustre-discuss] Correct way to unmount a lustre client?

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Tue Jul 8 13:12:44 PDT 2008

Hello Hans-Juergen,

I usually try a combination of searching the process table for any running
tasks that are blocking the umount request and killing them, then doing a
'umount -k', and then using 'lctl modules |awk '{print $2}' |xargs rmmod -v'
to deactivate the kernel modules. This last step sometimes leads to
complaints that the network module is busy, so you have to tell it to shut
down LNET in order to completely unload the remaining modules.

However, I don't find this is a problem very frequently with my nodes ...
maybe you've got an uncooperative application that needs to be looked at?

cheers,
Klaus

On 7/8/08 9:30 AM, "Hans-Juergen Schnitzer" <schnitzer at rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE>did
etch on stone tablets: