[Lustre-discuss] multihomed server and syntax for modprobe.conf

Meik Langwald Meik.Langwald at Sun.COM
Tue Jul 15 05:42:25 PDT 2008

Hi,

I want to set up a small Lustre test environment Lustre with one MDS/MGS and one OSS. Clients should be able to connect though Infiniband and Gigabit.

The setup for Infiniband is easy, then I tried to configure both transport methods in /etc/modprobe.conf:

options lnet networks=o2ib(ib1),tcp(eth2)

I also ran tunefs.lustre on the OSS node to tell the OSS the new NID of the MGS:

# tunefs.lustre --eraseparams --mgsnode=192.168.2.27 at o2ib,10.0.0.27 at tcp /dev/md11

If I try to mount the Lustre filesystem on an Gigabit-only client ("options lnet networks=tcp(eth1)"), I get an error message, that the client can not resolve the Infiniband-NID of the OSS ("192.168.2.28 at o2ib").

What is the correct syntax for modprobe.conf?

- Quotes or no quotes?
- with number or without (o2ib0 or o2ib)?
- Better use ip2nets?

Or did I make a mistake elsewhere?

kind regards
  Meik