[Lustre-discuss] High Performance Data warehouse

Malcolm Cowe Malcolm.Cowe at Sun.COM
Thu Jul 17 04:06:32 PDT 2008

You might want to look at Greenplum, a DW database designed for parallel
execution, based on PostGres. This is a commercial application stack and
isn't exactly cheap, but it addresses data warehousing scalability using
a highly parallelised model and is worth looking at, since this appears
to be similar to the problem space that you are interested in.

Sun sells a solution based on the Greenplum DW. The Sun DW Appliance
comprises a front-end query loader / optimiser using X4100 and one or
more X4500s as the segment hosts storing the actual data. Queries are
submitted to the X4100, which compiles the query and creates an
execution plan which is distributed to each of the segment hosts for
parallel execution. It's pretty decent.

More information can be found at:

    * http://sun.com/greenplum
    * http://www.greenplum.com

There are a number of presentations and white papers on both sites that
outline the approach and the interaction between the PostGres developer
community and GP.

Getting back to Lustre, using a massively parallel file system to host
one "standard" DB instance that is striped across all the OSTs
represents an interesting proposal. I'd be careful to ensure that you
have appropriate controls to ensure data integrity and availability --
replication or mirroring for example, in order to protect your database
from OST failures and so on. I guess you could create an environment
with many Lustre file systems, each hosting a separate DB instance, then
relying upon the cluster / availability mechanisms in the DB for
ensuring reliability. Sounds like fun.

Regards,

Malcolm.