[Lustre-discuss] collectl

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Jul 29 15:10:07 PDT 2008

On Jul 29, 2008  14:36 -0400, Mark Seger wrote:
> One thing that confuses me about lustre counters, and maybe others, is I
> don't really know what they mean, when they change and in fact how to
> stimulate them to change.  For example, on my system I'm doing a watch
> of /proc/fs/lustre/mdt/MDS/mds/stats and only see 1 reint counter,
> because the others are all 0.  So I went and did some file renames, and
> chmods and sure enough, the other counters did appear.  Cool!

Yes, this is expected.  We dropped the "0" counters because they are very
noisy and useless in most contexts.

> The easiest thing for me to do is to simply say that reint_setattr
> counts the number of setattrs, but that would be a pretty weak
> definition. When I changed did a single chmod to 100 files, setattr only
> incremented by 1 and I expected it to increment by 100.

It should have been incremented by 100, and if it didn't it is possibly
a bug.

> want to be the one responsible for the words or all you're going to see
> is 'reint_setattr counts the number of setattr calls' and I really don't
> think that would be all that useful to anyone.

"reint_setattr" includes all operations that modify inode attributes,
including chmod, chown, touch, etc.

For mknod and mkdir operations, also used by NFS servers internally
when creating files.

For hard or symbolic links, like with "ln"

For file and directory renames, like with "mv".

For removing files and directories, like with "rm" or "rmdir".

For extended attributes and ACLs, like with "getfattr" or "getfacl".

For extended attributes and ACLs, like with "setfattr" or "setfacl".

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.