[Lustre-discuss] Early replies from pre-1.6.5 servers?

Eric Mei Eric.Mei at Sun.COM
Tue Jul 29 15:55:11 PDT 2008

Daniel,

Daniel Kobras wrote:
> Hi!
>
> While debugging connection problems on a Lustre client running 1.6.5.1
> on RHEL5, I discovered early replies in the client debug output.
> Adaptive timeouts are disabled on the client, and our server
> infrastructure in running stock 1.6.4.3 (RHEL5), still. As far as I
> understood, early replies should only occur post 1.6.5 when adaptive
> timeouts are active.  Did I get this wrong, and early replies are
> prefectly valid even in our setup? Or is the 1.6.5.1 client
> misinterpreting message headers?

You're right, in your setup we shouldn't expect any early reply at all.
The 1.6.4 server perhaps immediately send a reply in which a reserved
field was not initialize to 0, which was interpreted by 1.6.5 client as
an early reply, then be discarded because of size doesn't match.

I guess it's not easy to reproduce, right? You can file a bug on our
bugzilla, with as much information as possible. Thanks a lot.

--
Eric