[Lustre-discuss] MGS failover

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Wed Jul 30 06:48:45 PDT 2008

The manual does not make much sense when it comes to MGS failover.

Manual:

Note – The MGS does not use the --failnode option.  You need to set the
command on all other nodes of the filesystem (servers and clients),
about the
failover options for the MGS. Use the --mgsnode parameter on servers
and mount
address for clients. The servers need to contact the MGS for
configuration
information; they cannot query the MGS about the failover partner.

This does not make any sense at all, other than you can't use --
failnode and that clients can't check with two different hosts for
MGS data.  Our MGS will be on its own LUN setup with heartbeat
between two nodes that are also working as an MDS pair. While
Heartbeat takes care of mounting the MGS file system, how can we tell
clients "if mds1 is down use mds2 for MGS data"

Thanks.  I hope that makes sense.

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing