[Lustre-discuss] collectl

Mark Seger Mark.Seger at hp.com
Wed Jul 30 15:15:23 PDT 2008

Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>

>> useful. I suppose one might also make that argument about things like
>> statfs, getattr - the only time I was able to make them change was in
>> response to lfs commands. Might that logic also be applied to
>> extended attributes and acl counters which I suspect also fall into
>> the category of slowly changing counters?
>>

> If you have ACLs enabled on your MDS, then every "ls -l" will induce
> getxattr()s and the mds_getxattr counter will be increased by as much.
> So this can change quickly. mds_setxattr, on the other hand, may change
> less often, since you usually set ACLs less often than you list files.
> But it can still be interesting to see if mds_setxattr goes through the
> roof.

so here's the test I did.  I created 200 files and set acls on all of
them.  setxattr changed by 200.  then I did an ls -l on the directory
with the files in it and getxattr changed by 1.  when I removed all the
files reint changed by 200.  I should quickly point out this was done on
a 1.6.4 system as I'm waiting for access to remount the mds on my 1.6.5
systems with acls enabled.
-mark