[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Mount Crashing

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Mon Jun 2 09:58:20 PDT 2008

On Jun 2, 2008, at 11:49 AM, Dennis Nelson wrote:

> > Unless you are getting some kind of kernel panic, that stack trace
> > should be in the syslog.

No, it is going down hard in a kernel panic.     All of the stack
trace I can see at the moment looks like (scribbled by hand... so
forgive me for leaving off the addresses and offsets).

:libcfs:cfs_alloc
:obdclass:lustre_init_lsi
:obdclass:lustre_fill_super
:obdclass::lustre_fill_super
set_anon_super
set_anon_super
:obd_class:lustre_fill_super
et_sb_nodev
vfs_kern_mount
do_kern_mount
do_mount
__handle_mm_fault
__up_read
do_page_fault
zone_statistics
__alloc_pages
sys_mount
system_call

RIP <  .....  > resched_task

I wish I could get the whole trace to you.   We might try to get kdump
on there but my luck with kdump has been mixed.   It seems to work
with some chipsets and not with others.

Anyway, we may just be out of luck.   I just hate to give up too
easily because it seems like everything is solid yet we crash on or
just after the mount.   This is on a MDS that has been running without
a problem for 5 months (lustre 1.6.4.2 ).

uname -a
Linux hpcmds 2.6.18-8.1.14.el5.L-1642 #2 SMP Thu Feb 21 15:42:14 EST
2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I don't know if that trace is a lot of help to you since it is not
complete (which is why I didn't post it initially) but maybe there is
something there of use.

Regards,

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center