[Lustre-discuss] Performance Drop creating big files

Roger Spellman roger at terascala.com
Mon Jun 2 10:10:35 PDT 2008

> I would suspect the Lustre client side caching influencing your write
> performance. 10GB is not adequate, try atleast 4x of the RAM size for
> file-sizes.
> HTH,
> -Kums

Kums, thanks for the suggestion.  I have 4G of RAM on my client and 4G
of RAM on my server.  I typically create 20G files, but I've found that
10G files are nearly the same performance.  The performance degradation
that I see starts occurring at about 100G.  So, I don't think that it is
caching that is causing the problems.

Roger Spellman
Sr. Staff Engineer
Terascala, Inc.