[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Mount Crashing

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Jun 3 13:55:35 PDT 2008

On Jun 03, 2008  16:37 -0400, Charles Taylor wrote:
> I'm sorry, I should have updated you.  You are right, it was
> misleading.    The MDS/MDT was fine and  after about twenty minutes or
> so everything became active and we now have a working file system with
> data that we can access so we can't *thank you* enough.

You're welcome.

> BTW, That's a pretty obscure "fix".   I was going to ask for an
> explanation but we've been pretty busy doing fsck's and lfsck's (which
> we are still working up to since it takes a while to generate the
> db's).    It is a pretty slow process but things are looking
> relatively good.   Of course, when you go from thinking you just lost
> all your data to having almost all of it, anything looks pretty
> good.  :)
>
> PS - we know refer to your commands to truncate the last_rcvd file as
> the "Dilger Procedure" (with great reverence).  :)

Well, by no means should this be a normal process.  If you can spare the
time after your system is back in shape, then copying the last_rcvd.sav
file to a test MDT and mounting it with a serial console enabled would
help track down what the root cause of this is.  The fewer people that
have to perform the "Dilger Procedure" the better.