[Lustre-discuss] Performance parameters

Reto Gantenbein reto.gantenbein at id.unibe.ch
Tue Jun 10 14:49:34 PDT 2008

Hello everybody

We did experience the same issue with our file system. Metadata
operations and operations on a big number of files are quite slow
compared to a local or a NFS file system. For example packing the
kernel sources takes about one and a half minutes on the 1Gbps NFS
server, but nearly 5 minutes on our Lustre file system.

Our setup is consisting of 2 load balanced Lustre servers exporting 7
OSTs and 1 MGS/MDT. The servers run the Lustre-patched 2.6.18 kernel
with Lustre 1.6.4.3 self-compiled. On client side we already tried the
2.6.22 patch-less setup and also the patched 2.6.18 kernel without
recognizing a major performance difference. There are 192 client
machines mounting the Lustre file system off the two servers. The MDT
storage device is a Transtec 4Gbps FibreChannel SAS Raid. It's
configured to use Raid level 1+0. The OSTs are Transtec 4Gbps FC SATA
Raids, configured to use Raid 6. Each back-end device is connected for
failover reasons to both servers via a QLogic SANbox 5602 FC switch.

The bandwidth is definitely not the bottleneck with this setup. With a
parallel dd test, we were able to write more than 1GB/s to the OSTs.

Any hints are always welcome.

Kind regards,
Reto Gantenbein