[Lustre-discuss] lustre and small files overhead lru_size question

Cliff White Cliff.White at Sun.COM
Thu Jun 12 12:42:49 PDT 2008

Jakob Goldbach wrote:
>> I rather think of increasing lru_size only on few login nodes where
>> user access file system interactively.
>>

> I run with 20k on a few-node cluster without problems. I also increased
> max_dirty_mb. Both improved small I/O.
>
> /JAkob

Basically, you want the total ( lru_size summed for all clients )  to
be less than ~500k. If you stay below that limit, should have no issues.
 From a conversation a few years ago:

"
If this is going to be a compile client instead of a compute client, the
standard is to increase the MDC LRU size to 5000, and the OSC LRU size
to 2000.
  If they don't have thousands of clients this could be done on a large
number of
clients if this test represents their normal workload (aim for LRU *
clients <=
500k should be safe)."

cliffw