[Lustre-discuss] Rule of thumb for setting up lustre resources...

Mark True darfoo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 11:22:03 PDT 2008

Hello!

I am new to the list, but I have been researching Lustre for quite some time
and finally have an occasion to use it.  I am trying to do some capacity
planning and I am wondering if there are some general rules of thumb for
configuring a Lustre environment.

Specifically:

A> If increasing the number of OSTs increases throughput, is there a
relationship that can be used to determine how many OSTs we're likely to
need at the outset to establish a baseline minimum throughput.  For
examples, if I want to get 3GB sustained throughput how many OSTs will
facilitate this.

B> Does the MGS and MDS have to be separate for best performance, or can
they be consolidated into one server without causing too much hardship

C>  Right now I am looking at a model where I am connecting all the OSTs,
and the MDS/MGS together using infiniband, and connecting the storage via
fibrechannel.   Is this the ideal solution or am I going in the wrong
direction.

D> Just wondering what clustering software people use on the front end with
Lustre typically, if they are going to be using this as a filesystem for
some kind of HPC environment, what is the most popular clustering technology
for this.

E> Does Heartbeat install next to whatever HPC clustering technology you
have?

Thanks, and I hope that I can soon be someone who contributes rather than
just asking questions :)

--Mark T.