[Lustre-discuss] MGS disk size and activity

Tue Jun 17 08:23:13 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 11:09 -0400, Brock Palen wrote:
> A post a few days back recommended that the MGS be placed on its own
> disk for all but "toy" setups I think was the comment.

Yeah.

> How much space does the MGS require?

Very little.  I think we have discussed here that 100MB should be lots
for now and the future.  Perhaps somebody who knows more about what
changes could be happening to configuration logs might know better.

> Is it based on the number of
> hosts?  Or just the number of lustre file systems (we expect only 1
> but maybe more in future).

Well, it would be both, but the amount of data per host (where a host is
an OSS, MDS) is relatively small.

> Last what's the IO requirements of the MGS?

Again, small.  It's used when a new OST or MDT is added to record their
addition and when nodes join the filesystem or when a configuration
change with a --writeconf is done.

> I don't think it would
> be much,  such that could it share spindles with the journal for the
> MDS file system?

Hrm.  Given it's relatively low use, I'd think that would be fine.

b.