[Lustre-discuss] Failover Setup MDS/MDT

Fri Jun 20 07:08:23 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 16:01 +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:

> We do it for several lustre installations and it works fine.

Have you done any "intensive" failover testing of it?  I'm thinking
something along the lines of our Hendrix/CMD test 11 or 17.  In those
tests we had to survive a constant stream of failovers at something like
3 or 5 minute intervals for 24 hours.  So yes, a hundred or two
failovers in a row and no application (i.e. userspace) errors.

Seeing as we know Lustre can do it (we completed that contract) I'd be
more interested of course in seeing DRBD survive that kind of torture.
I'm not sure how (long) DRBD takes to come back into fully mirrored
status when one node is powered off though.  If it's a long time, that
in itself is an exposure to failure that shared storage doesn't suffer.

b.