[Lustre-discuss] What korg kernels support Lustre?

Andreas Dilger adilger at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 23 13:56:00 PDT 2008

On Jun 19, 2008  17:59 -0600, Chris Worley wrote:
> I noticed that Lustre patches were applied to the kernel at 2.6.22.14...
> which I'm guessing means that all subsequent korg kernels are up-to-date,
> and you just build the Lustre modules separately (and not patchlessly).
> Correct?

No, that isn't correct at all.

For servers you always have to patch the kernel, because we have not
yet gotten the required features/exports into the kernel, and it is
unlikely that this will happen in the near future.

For clients, you can build and run against unpatched upstream kernel.org
kernels 2.6.16-2.6.22.  Support for kernel API changes in 2.6.23 and later
is still in progress.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.