[Lustre-discuss] Failover Setup MDS/MDT

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Thu Jun 26 11:47:00 PDT 2008

Hello Heiko,

If I'm not mistaken, 'MDS' refers to the metadata _server_, while 'MDT'
refers to the metadata _target_, i.e. the distinction is akin to that
between 'OSS' and 'OST'. The MDS is a server node; the MDT is the volume
where all the metadata for your volume is stored.

The handbook recommends an MDT size about 1-2% of the size of your total
volume size, i.e. if your total CFS volume is 10 TB, the MDT would be about
200 GB. This is fairly conservative, so you may want to err on the side of
growth by using a larger volume than that. If you can spare the disk, you're
certainly not sacrificing anything by over-provisioning your MDS.

hope this helps,
Klaus

On 6/25/08 5:29 AM, "Heiko Schroeter" <schroete at iup.physik.uni-bremen.de>did
etch on stone tablets: