[Lustre-discuss] Lustre delete efficency

Stew Paddaso stew.paddaso at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 10:57:19 PDT 2008

We are considering using Lustre as our backend file platform. The
specific application involves storing a high-volume of sequential data
writes, with a moderate amount of reads (mostly sequencial, with some
random seeks). Our concern is with reclaiming space. As the file
system fills, we need to be able to quickly delete the oldest files.

Does Lustre have an efficient file delete? I'm not expecting specific
metrics (though they would be nice if available), just some general
info about the Lustre delete process (Does it immediately reclaim the
space, or do it 'lazily' in the background? etc, etc.).

Thanks.