[Lustre-discuss] Repairing a filesystem with lfsck output

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Jun 27 16:41:34 PDT 2008

On Jun 27, 2008  01:23 -0500, Chad Kerner wrote:
>  	I have a filesystem that went south in a fairly bad way.  The
> lfsck(ran in read-only mode) listed 31216 files that were 'not created'
> and in the lfsck output log there were error messages about dangling
> inodes and when they were all added up, they equated out to 31216
> dangling inodes.  The question is: Is there a way to map the dangling
> inodes to the files in order to save the data?

Likely, yes.  It depends on what is actually wrong.  It MAY be that
there is just a problem with one of the ostdb files and you don't
have any problem at all...  Do you get IO errors when trying to
access one of the dangling inodes?  If not, then you probably don't
need to do anything.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.