[Lustre-discuss] configuration question 1.6.4; multiple NICs on OSS

Jim Albin jim_albin at nrel.gov
Mon Mar 3 11:37:05 PST 2008

Hello,
  We're trying to see if we can use multiple NIC's on a pair of OSS's
without bonding. Trying to decipher the Multi-Home example in the
Operations Manual 1.6_v1.10 Chapter 7 and I must be missing something. I
have not attempted bonding yet, the manual seems to suggest you can use
multiple NIC's without bonding and avoid the overhead of bonding. We're
looking for either failover or load balancing advantages over a single
NIC in the OSS.

 Could someone please post an example of a configuration similar to
this:

mdt - eth0 only
oss1,oss2 - eth0 & eth1
client configuration

If you could include the modprobe.conf entry, mount commands and
anything else to try or verify with I'd appreciate it very much.
Thanks in advance.

--
Jim Albin
Sr. Systems Administrator, HPC Systems