[Lustre-discuss] socknal_sd00 100% lower?

Maxim V. Patlasov Maxim.Patlasov at Sun.COM
Fri Mar 7 05:54:16 PST 2008

Brock,

> If our IO servers are seeing extended periods of socknal_sd00 at 100%
> cpu,  Would this cause a bottle neck?
Yes, I think so.

> If so its a single homed  hosts, would adding another interface to the
> host help?

Probably, no. It could only help in the case you have several CPUs but
something prevents ksocklnd to spread the load over them.

> Is there threading anyplace?
Yes, ksocklnd spawns separate socknal_sd thread for each CPU/core that
you have. There are two algorithms of spreading the load  - you can play
with enable_irq_affinity modparam flag.

> Or is faster cpu the only way out?

I believe you either need faster CPU or faster system bus. If slow
system bus isn't your case, increasing number of CPUs also will do.

Sincerely,
Maxim