[Lustre-discuss] lustre and small files overhead

Balagopal Pillai pillai at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Mar 10 06:12:40 PDT 2008

Hi,

           I tried gfs and ocfs2 before i came back to Lustre as the
choice for hpc cluster filesystem
and they were both quite good for small files. I wasn't happy with
the stability of either at the time and also didn't want to deal with
the quorum issues when all
i wanted was a cluster file system and not the high availability part of
the solution.

          gfs and ocfs2 are worth trying for benchmarks with small
files. Please note that gfs2 is
not considered production ready. So you would need to stick with rhel4
instead of rhel5 if sticking
with a redhat solution.

Regards
Balagopal