[Lustre-discuss] e2scan for backup

Thu Mar 13 05:48:07 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 12:59 +0100, Jakob Goldbach wrote:

> No need to freeze the filesystem while creating the snapshot to ensure a
> consistent filesystem on the snapshot ?

I've been corrected about this before and maybe it will happen again,
but a) there is no need to freeze the filesystem and b) probably when
you mount the snapshot, the journal (which may contain transactions when
the snapshot is taken) will be replayed and then everything should be
good.

> (xfs has a xfs_freeze function that does just this)

Yeah.  I don't know enough about xfs to understand why this is needed,
but probably the inconsistency of an "open" xfs filesystem is more
disastrous than an ext3 filesystem.

b.