[Lustre-discuss] how to replace a bad OST.

Lundgren, Andrew Andrew.Lundgren at Level3.com
Mon Mar 17 10:29:29 PDT 2008

I am trying to learn how to replace a defective OST with a new one.  Assuming the old OST can not be salvaged.

I have a test cluster that I am working on.

I deactivated the volume on the MGS using:

lctl conf_param content-OST0002-osc.osc.active=0

I unlinked all of the bad files by finding the ones on the bad volume.

I formatted a fresh OST using the index number of the bad device:

mkfs.lustre --reformat  --fsname content --ost --mgsnode=4.248.52.81 at tcp0 --param="failover.mode=failout" --index=02 /dev/md6

Then I tried to mount the freshly formatted OST into the cluster.

Unfortunately, I end up with an error:

mount.lustre: mount /dev/md6 at /lustre_raw_ost_one failed: Address already in use
The target service's index is already in use. (/dev/md6)

How can I re-use the index number to prevent always having a "dead" point in my cluster?

Thanks!

--
Andrew