[Lustre-discuss] Slow performance on the first IOR / iozone (Lustre)

Oleg Drokin Oleg.Drokin at Sun.COM
Sat Mar 22 17:26:28 PDT 2008

Hello!

On Mar 22, 2008, at 2:55 PM, Anand Bisen wrote:

> I have been trying to understand why successive execution of iozone
> (also with dd and IOR) produces increasing performance from first run
> to third run. After the third run the performance is constant.

I believe what you are seeing is a direct result of bitmap blocks
being not
read at mount time. So it takes some time to cache bitmaps (And other
data structures) into memory
(and it happens during writes which hinders performance).
Once bitmaps are all read, performance stabilizes.

Hopefully Alex or Andreas might comment further on this, or perhaps
remember
a bug number, Cray filed one some time ago, I think.

Bye,
     Oleg