[Lustre-discuss] How to you generated discarded readahead pages?

Tom.Wang Tom.Wang at Sun.COM
Mon Mar 24 01:12:45 PDT 2008

Mark Seger wrote:
> I'm running a little script that does 3 consecutive small reads of 4K
> each and then sleeps for a second and as you can see from the following
> collectl output readahead is happening.  How do I know?  Because the
> network traffic is so high:
>
> #         <----------Network----------><-------------Lustre
> Client-------------->
> #Time     netKBi pkt-in netKBo pkt-out  Reads KBRead Writes KBWrite
> Hits Misses
> 09:31:54    1084    740     29     394      3     12      0       0
> 0      3
> 09:31:55    1084    740     29     394      3     12      0       0
> 0      3
> 09:31:56    1084    740     29     394      3     12      0       0
> 0      3
> 09:31:57    1084    741     29     394      2      8      0       0
> 0      2
>
> I'm getting my data from
> /proc/fs/lustre/llite/spfs1-00000100768c2800/read_ahead_stats and when I
> look at the disards, they're not changing.  What I would like to know is
> why. as I'd think all that extra data would be discarded from the
> cache.  Is it because some other process needs to put pressure on it?
These read-ahead pages will be discarded when it met memory pressure or
the client revokes the lock of these pages.
> have 4GB memory and just wrote a 5GB file which should certain force out
> anything already there but the counter never changed.

If you did not change the parameters in /proc, lustre client only permit
32M dirty cache currently,
you can check max_dirty_mb in /proc . So writing 5GB file will not
trigger memory pressure on client.