[Lustre-discuss] Slow performance on the first IOR / iozone (Lustre)

Oleg Drokin Oleg.Drokin at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 25 07:37:12 PDT 2008

Hello!

    You are certainly not obliged to do i/os to force bitmaps, since
lustre will continue to work,
    it just will bear some penalties before all caches are populated.
    You certainly can prefetch that data sooner as a workaround and
with zero kernel hacking
    required by e.g. doing dumpe2fs on every device with lustre
backend fs after lustre servers
    are started (it is important to do this after mount, since kernel
discards all block device data
    on last device close).
    I am not aware of any place in /proc where you can track current
status of fs-specific cached
    metadata, also it might change over time, e.g. for fs that is not
used, blocks might be forced
    out of memory.

Bye,
     Oleg