[Lustre-discuss] Disappearing OSTs

Cliff White Cliff.White at Sun.COM
Thu May 1 19:21:23 PDT 2008

jrs wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've posted before but no one responded. I'm reposting because I'm
> really dead in the water here until I can get this fixed.
>
> The issue is that my OSTs don't survive a reboot of the OSS.
>
> In the below I'm dealing with two OSTs, quad-core Intel Xeon machines
> with 8Gigs memory and dual port Qlogic fiber channel card.  They both
> run SLES 10.1 and lustre 1.6.4.3.  My two MDS (similiar, though not
> exactly same hardware), don't have the same problem, though I'm only
> accessing a single MDT from them.
>
> I've produced the problem by something as simple as running
> umount /mnt/lustre/ost/ost_oss01_lustre0102_01
> tune2fs -O +mmp /dev/mapper/ost_oss01_lustre0102_01
> mount -t lustre /dev/mapper/ost_oss01_lustre0102_01 /mnt/lustre/ost/ost_oss01_lustre0102_01

> Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

It looks like something is really destroying your disks, if you try this
with ordinary ext3, does the filesystem survive a reboot?

Otherwise, you could try:
- mkfs.lustre as before.
# tunefs.lustre --print <device>
reboot
# tunefs.lustre --print <device>

Tunefs with --print is read-only, if it doesn't work the second time,
you should be able to compare the results.
cliffw