[Lustre-discuss] MDS Fail-Over planning.

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Tue May 6 14:00:26 PDT 2008

I know some users talked about DRBD for the shared disk on the MDS.

What was the conclusion of this?  Bad Idea?  I do some high available
NFS using this exact same setup.

DRBD  provides shared storage,
Heart Beat is used to monitor hosts.
IPMI  is used by HeartBeat to power down hosts that are to be killed.

The plan on our table right now is two thumpers as the OSS's.
Then two x4100 or 4200/s  with mirrors SAS drives then shared across
with DRBD with Heart Beat.

Any comments?  Any issues to be aware of?  Anyone running something
similar?

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing