[Lustre-discuss] MDS Fail-Over planning.

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Wed May 7 08:48:03 PDT 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 4:55 AM, Thomas Roth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are testing a similar setup, a HA-pair of servers for MGS/MDS,
> were the HA is provided by DRBD and Heartbeat.
> So far we did not observe any problems. However, in the current
> 'production' mode of our cluster, there hasn't been a HA-failover,
> so nothing could have gone wrong with that part of the setup.
> In the test phase before, for instance once the power cables of the
> primary server were ripped out while someone was writing with
> iozone to the filesystem: nothing happened. These were large-file-
> writes, however. Writing, say, 5MB files, you certainly would
> notice the short disappearance of the MDT as a short interruption.
> But no problems with inconsistencies between the two DRBD-MDT-
> partitions.

This is good to know. But we are not sure we want to risk that.  I
have used DRBD before.  The default 'protocol' for drbd is to block
until both disk are written.

What about an iSCSI cabnet?  Sun (who we are buying the thumpers from
for OST's)  has a very good academic price for a 2510 SAS array.

Has anyone ever used one of these 'Sun StorageTek 2510'  arrays?
Problems with iSCSI and MDS?

Remember the goal is to build a fail over pair of MDS's.