[Lustre-discuss] 1.6.5

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri May 16 00:39:38 PDT 2008

On May 15, 2008  14:15 -0700, Jim Garlick wrote:
> My lustre/ChangeLog for 1.6.5-RC2 says:
>
>        * version 1.6.5
>        * Support for kernels:
>         2.6.5-7.311 (SLES 9),
>         2.6.9-67.0.7.EL (RHEL 4),
>         2.6.16.54-0.2.5 (SLES 10),
>         2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 (RHEL 5),
>         2.6.18.8 vanilla (kernel.org)
>         2.6.22.14 vanilla (kernel.org)
>        * Client support for unpatched kernels:
>         (see http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php?title=Patchless_Client)
>         2.6.16 - 2.6.22 vanilla (kernel.org)
>
> Is there any particular reason why the 2.6.18's were removed from your copy?

My bad...  I accidentally deleted the 2.6.18 RHEL5 line, thinking it was
the 2.6.18-vanilla line.  Don't worry, RHEL5 is still in the supported list.

The reason we've removed 2.6.18.8 vanilla kernel from the "Supported" list
is because we are not doing testing on this kernel, and while the patches
still exist in this release it is a "legacy" vanilla kernel and we generally
only support a single vanilla kernel at one time.  Most of our customers
use either the RHEL or SLES kernel, but working with newer kernels helps
keep the Lustre code ready for changes coming down the pipes.

Unfortunately, 2.6.24 is NOT that vanilla kernel, though we will likely
begin work on this.  The constantly shifting and undocumented changes in
the kernel make updates a task in reverse engineering, and there isn't a
huge amount of demand for the latest vanilla kernels.