[Lustre-discuss] forced umount of OST in failover case?

Erich Focht efocht at hpce.nec.com
Mon May 19 08:24:59 PDT 2008

Hi,

the lustre manual says:

 2.2.1.5 Stopping a Server
 To stop a server:
 $ umount -f /mnt/test/ost0
 The '-f' flag means "force"; force the server to stop WITHOUT RECOVERY.
 Without the '-f' flag, "failover" is
 implied, meaning the next time the server is started it goes through the
 recovery procedure.

So we were tempted to use "umount -f" when doing a failover of OSTs, but we
see problems (I/O errors on clients) during the failover when doing this.
Without the "-f" flag we get no I/O errors.

Is there a recommended way of dealing with the umount at failover?

Best regards,
Erich