[Lustre-discuss] user space lustre

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu May 22 14:53:31 PDT 2008

On May 22, 2008  17:52 +0800, Stu Midgley wrote:
> Just wondering if the user-space port of lustre servers to Solaris/ZFS
> will have normal fs caching, or will they do direct IO?  That is, the
> lustre servers will effectively get caching simply by being in user
> space.  We have an application that would significantly benefit from
> caching on lustre server side.  We are happy to forgo reliability in
> the face of crashes to get it.

The implementation of ZFS is segmented into several major functional
units.  The data management unit (DMU) is the bulk of the on-disk
structure and is what Lustre will actually interface with for the MDT/OST.
The adaptive replacement cache (ARC) is the cache management code and
is used to manage manage memory in both userspace and the Solaris kernel.

As a result, the userspace servers do not benefit at all from having a
duplicate kernel-side cache, like any large database implementation,
so we will be avoiding that as best possible.  Initially we were doing
O_DIRECT IO, but using async IO (libaio) showed much better performance
for the way the ARC submits IO to disk.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.