[Lustre-discuss] Planning a Lustre Quick Start Guide

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Fri May 23 08:53:56 PDT 2008

> This is not quite a HOWTO but has some interesting suggestions
> for HA and backup (even if I think that the only sensible way to
> backup a large Lustre storage pool is another Lustre storage
> pool):
>
>   http://indico.cern.ch/contributionDisplay.py?
> contribId=24&sessionId=12&confId=27391

Interesting they are using DRBD, We thought about this, and there is
a request about it in bugzilla, but nothing appears to have been done
about it.  I have used it before for NFS and LVM with Xen virtual
machines without issue.

We also asked sun about using an iSCSI array for the shared storage
for failover with the MDT/MGS.  We were told it had not been tested
and to use FC inplace.  Some what disapointed, FC more than doubled
the cost of the MDT/MGS setup when you put in the FC adapters and the
cabinet.  We wanted to be safe though.

On you replacing the thumper sata_mv driver with the one from sun, i
hope this fixes the lacking performance.....

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp at umich.edu