[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Kernel patches

Aaron Knister aaron at iges.org
Sun May 25 07:05:48 PDT 2008

Lustre only needs a custom kernel on the OSS and MDS nodes. The rest
of the clients can run patchless (assuming they're > 2.6.15 i think).
See this article- http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php?title=Patchless_Client
. It is a bit of a hassle to distribute a custom kernel, but it's
pretty  minor work especially given the performance benefits of lustre.

On May 21, 2008, at 5:39 PM, Huang, Eric wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am new to this list. If this question has been posted before, my
> apology.
>
> I was wondering when the Lustre changes to the Linux kernel could be
> merged to standard Linux distros? It is pretty inconvenient that
> Lustre needs to use a custom kernel.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Eric

Aaron Knister
Systems Administrator
Center for Research on Environment and Water

(301) 595-7000
aaron at iges.org