[Lustre-discuss] timestamp problem in lustre?

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Nov 7 13:51:08 PST 2008

On Nov 02, 2008  17:00 +0800, David Levi Hevroni wrote:
> I encounter the following problem when trying  to compile a program on a
> lustre volume:  when I do ¨make¨, the program compiles. But then, when I
> switch to another computer and run make again, I get the ¨clock skew
> detected¨ warning, but only on the executable that was created with the
> first ¨make¨.

The timestamps in lustre are based on the client clock.  That ensures
that when running programs like "make" that you don't get clock-skew
problems between the client and server.

> When I take a look at the timestamp of the file, I see a valid time on the
> first computer, and just the day on the second. does anyone have any idea
> why such thing might happen?

Can you check "ls -l --full-time {file}" on both clients?  When just the
day is shown from "ls -l" it usually means that the file was modified so
long ago that the time is no longer relevant (depending on the output format
chosen for your locale).

> This happens when I use NTP daemon, and also when I am synchronizing the
> clocks by myself. Running ¨date¨ on both computers gives the same time
> (maybe 1 second difference).

This is very odd.

> Can it be a problem with the server? Does the date on the lustre server has
> any importance in this matter?

The server time should NOT affect the timestamps on the files, but it
isn't impossible that there is a bug in this area.  There were a few
timestamp bugs fixed recently, for the cases where a file was renamed
after it was created incorrectly changing the timestamp.

Please also check the time on the servers (both MDS and OSTs).

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.