[Lustre-discuss] Where to run PIOS

Atul Vidwansa Atul.Vidwansa at Sun.COM
Wed Nov 12 12:50:32 PST 2008

Hello Wang,

PIOS is designed for writing to POSIX filesystem or block devices. So,
you can run it on block devices on OSS or on Lustre clients. Running it
on Lustre clients will give you better understanding of the performance
you will get for your application.

For example, if lustre is mounted at  /mnt/lustre on a client node, then:
1] For writing single shared file:
./pios -t 4,8,16,32,64 -n 8192 -c 1M -s 1M -o 1M -p /mnt/lustre

2] For writing files per process/thread:
./pios -t 4,8,16,32,64 -n 8192 -c 1M -s 1M -o 1M --load=fpp -p /mnt/lustre

Total amount of data written is product of number of regions (-n) and
regionsize (-s). Make sure you are writing at least twice the size of
memory on Lustre client. You can experiment with different value of
chunksize (-c) to find best performance for your workload.

Cheers,
_Atul