[Lustre-discuss] page allocation failure

Fri Nov 28 06:04:41 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 11:14 +0200, Alex wrote:

> I want to clarify this, because i don't understand why are you saying that it
> can be used max 900MB of our RAM! Afaik, on 32bit system, we have the
> following limits:
> - max 4GiB RAM using kernel without PAE (Physical Address Extension)
> - max 64GiB RAM using kernel with PAE (extend physical address size from 32 to
> 36bits)

There is a further limit in how much of that RAM the kernel can use
(i.e. the kernel is limited in how much of that 4 or 6 or whatever GB of
memory you have that it can use).  I tried to find some documentation on
it to help you understand but couldn't really find any.  Maybe somebody
else has a pointer to a good introduction to why this is.

b.