[Lustre-discuss] failed to start lustre: problem with port 988

Sun Nov 30 07:02:43 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 01:14 -0500, neutron wrote:
> hi all,

Hi.

> Nov 30 01:04:31 wci66 kernel: LustreError:
> 7288:0:(linux-tcpip.c:554:libcfs_sock_listen()
> ) Can't create socket: port 988 already in use
> Nov 30 01:04:31 wci66 kernel: LustreError: 122-1: Can't start acceptor
> on port 988: port
> already in use

This means that something already has port 988 open.  The culprit is
usually an RPC server and it got that port from the RPC mapper.  Typical
examples are one of the NFS/ONC services like rpc.mountd, etc.

> It seems that Lustre modules need port 988 but the port is already
> used by others.

Right.

> But at that time "netstat -nap"  shows no proc is
> using that port.

Strange.

> Is Lustre statically bound to the port 988?

You can specify the port as a module option.  Likely the manual has more
details on this than I can recall at the moment.

> Or is there anywhere I
> can change the configuration so that Lustre doesn't rely on a
> statically fixed port?

No.  Of course, the port has to be "static" (as you call it) for the
same reason that your friend has to have and give you his "static"
address if you can visit him.  You'd have a difficult time finding him
if his address was "some house in New York", right?

That said, it can be any (legal) static value you want to use.

b.