[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.6.5.1 on X4200 and STK 6140 Issues

Malcolm Cowe Malcolm.Cowe at Sun.COM
Tue Oct 7 02:43:26 PDT 2008

Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Oct 06, 2008  10:59 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 15:47 +0100, Malcolm Cowe wrote:
>>
>>> With respect to the OFED stack used, we are using the latest official
>>> software stack supplied by Voltaire. The reason for this is that there
>>> is more to OFED than just the kernel modules, including many libraries
>>> and tools,
>>>
>> None of these should be necessary for Lustre to use I/B.
>>

> Also very important to note is that if you are changing the IB stack,
> then Lustre also needs to be recompiled to work with the new IB stack.

Yes. As a matter of fact, you have anticipated a question I have: how
does one re-build Lustre in a safe and consistent manner? I'm working
through the docs, but I have come across a problem when I try to run
"make rpms" in the Lustre source:

make[4]: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/lustre-1.6.5.1/ldiskfs/Module.symvers', needed by
`Module.symvers'.  Stop.

How do I ensure that the build environment that Lustre requires is
properly prepared? I could just hoick a soft link to the Module.symvers
file in the kernel tree, but that's a little messy.

I've attached a draft copy of the build process to this message. Again,
just looking to sanity check the method, since I'm obviously missing
something.

I'm going to rebuild the servers today so that I can provide the debug
information that Brian requested.
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger