[Lustre-discuss] lustre as a shared filesystem for vmware?

Jay Christopherson jc.listmail at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 19:51:24 PDT 2008

Has anyone tried using a Lustre filesystem as a shared filesystem hosting
vmware virtual machines?  I was considering how someone might go about doing
this, but there is one big issue I'm coming up against, namely:  How would
you mount the Lustre filesystem on a VMware ESX server?  You'd either have
to figure out how to install the client (it would change the kernel which
would probably be bad on an ESX server...) or somehow export the filesystem
from a client via iSCSI.

The problem with exporting a Lustre filesystem via iSCSI and importing as an
iSCSI target is that it's not really a "Lustre" client at that point, so I'm
thinking this won't work.  I guess maybe you could also mount the Lustre FS
to a client and try exporting via NFS, but this doesn't really seem like a
good solution.  Anyhow, if anyone has gone and done this, I'd be interested
in knowing how it was done.

Thanks!
Jay