[Lustre-discuss] lustre/drbd/heartbeat setup [was: drbd async mode]

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Mon Oct 13 07:03:27 PDT 2008

Hi,

read your instructions - that's pretty much the setup we are using, too.
And it works very well, drbd 0.8 non-withstanding, but on a hardware raid.
I do not quite understand your remark about not using an extra net for
drbd - have you tried putting the name that's in your drbd.conf together
with the other IP into /etc/hosts ? My guess is that the performance of
your MDS-pair is influenced by drbd doing its job - I would keep that
separate from the Lustre data stream.
The machines we are planning to use in our next cluster are actually
equipped with four network interfaces - two (bonded) for Lustre, one for
drbd and one for heartbeat - those serial cables only give me error
messages and headaches.

We have separate partitions for MGS and MDT - on one machine. Didn't
understand that this would not be the Lustre way? This way at least one
doesn't have to worry about a super fast connection between MGS and MDT.

Is there a particular reason for not managing the IP via heartbeat? At
least it's easier to setup than the drbddisk and Filesystem resources.

Regards,
Thomas