[Lustre-discuss] drbd async mode

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Sep 2 13:24:58 PDT 2008

On Aug 30, 2008  16:35 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> Sorry Andrea, I would like to know this too. Hopefully someone here
> has done this before. Its worth a wiki

Common case is use of Linux-HA to manage primary/backup for each OST/MDT.
Since Lustre 1.6+ uses "mount" and "unmount" to start/stop Lustre services
this can be set up relatively easily with Linux-HA.  There is likely even
something in the Lustre manual.

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 3:05 AM, Andrea Frittoli
> <andrea.frittoli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying a Lustre + DRBD set-up, I would like to use DRBD with the
> > following setup:
> >
> > on MDS: DRBD emulates an MDT on shared storage. From Lustre
> > perspective one MDS is active, the other is passive
> > on OSS: BRBD emulates two OST on shared storage for each OSS couple.
> > >From Lustre perspective each OSS is active for one OST and passive for
> > the other.
> >
> > I'm planning to use DRBD in active/passive mode, so that the storage
> > is mounted only on the active server, and luster is mounted on top.
> > I'm not sure how to sync the mount/umount of the DRBD partition and
> > the mount of MDT/OST upon failover.
> >
> > The target setup shall have 2 MDS (1 couple) and 8 OST (4 couples),
> > dedicate LANs for heartbeat and drbd.
> >
> > Do you have any details of your setup you may share about this?
> >
> > TIA!
> >

> > On Aug 12, 4:50 am, "Mag Gam" <magaw... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Ha yes..I seen this before Sebastein. :-)
> >>
> >> I wanted to see if other people have tried it and their thoughts were.
> >>
> >> thats all
> >> TIA

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.