[Lustre-discuss] Lustre directory sizes - fast "du"

Lundgren, Andrew Andrew.Lundgren at Level3.com
Thu Sep 4 09:43:41 PDT 2008

We are having the same issue at the moment, so I am looking for a reply as well.  One suggestion was to use lfs find, though initially we haven't seen that to be faster.

--
Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org [mailto:lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Roth
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 7:38 AM
To: lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org
Subject: [Lustre-discuss] Lustre directory sizes - fast "du"

Hi all,

since our users have managed to write several TBs to Lustre by now, they sometimes would like to know what and how much there is in their directories. Is there any smarter way to find out than to do a "du -hs <dirname>" and wait for 30min for the 12TB-answer ?
I've already told them to substitute "ls -l" by "find -type f -exec ls -l {};", although I'm not too sure about that either.

Regards,
Thomas