[Lustre-discuss] HSM

Frank Leers Frank.Leers at Sun.COM
Fri Sep 5 19:08:11 PDT 2008

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_storage_management for a
definition, examples, and explanations.

If your data is transient, or if lustre is implemented as scratch
space, you may not be interested in an HSM, unless you are considering
SSD as a tier.  On the other hand, if the data that ends up on a
lustre filesystem needs to be backed up to a more "stable" tier or
archived to tape or other long term media, then an HSM may provide
value.

See http://wikis.sun.com/download/attachments/33588839/820-5382.pdf?version=1
  page 25 for a diagram of one such design which includes lustre.

hth,

-frank