[Lustre-discuss] temporarily refusing client connection

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 10:17:36 PDT 2008

Greetings,

I was having difficulty using a lustre disk Friday of last week.   I
was repeatedly getting errors on non-root users "Identifier Removed".
I found old msg on lustre discuss that stated that the lnet cannot
hold all of the group permission info so group permission either has
to exist on the MGS/MDT or run the following command (Thanks Aaron!)
to permit lustre to continue without having the group permissions
locally on MGS/MDT:

>>tunefs.lustre --param mdt.group_upcall=NONE /dev/sdf
checking for existing Lustre data: found CONFIGS/mountdata
Reading CONFIGS/mountdata

   Read previous values:
Target:     crew8-MDT0000
Index:      0
Lustre FS:  crew8
Mount type: ldiskfs
Flags:      0x401
              (MDT )
Persistent mount opts: errors=remount-ro,iopen_nopriv,user_xattr
Parameters: mgsnode=172.18.0.10 at o2ib
mdt.group_upcall=/usr/sbin/l_getgroups mds.group_upcall=NONE

   Permanent disk data:
Target:     crew8-MDT0000
Index:      0
Lustre FS:  crew8
Mount type: ldiskfs
Flags:      0x441
              (MDT update )
Persistent mount opts: errors=remount-ro,iopen_nopriv,user_xattr
Parameters: mgsnode=172.18.0.10 at o2ib
mdt.group_upcall=/usr/sbin/l_getgroups mds.group_upcall=NONE
mdt.group_upcall=NONE

Writing CONFIGS/mountdata

This command ran without errors on my MGS/MDT.   I had unmounted the
disk on the client when I did the above command on the MGS/MDT.

I now find that I cannot remount the lustre disk on the client.   The
errors are:
[root at crew01 ~]# mount -v -t lustre ic-mds1 at o2ib:/crew8 /crew8
arg[0] = /sbin/mount.lustre
arg[1] = -v
arg[2] = -o
arg[3] = rw
arg[4] = ic-mds1 at o2ib:/crew8
arg[5] = /crew8
source = ic-mds1 at o2ib:/crew8 (172.18.0.10 at o2ib:/crew8), target = /crew8
options = rw
mounting device 172.18.0.10 at o2ib:/crew8 at /crew8, flags=0
options=device=172.18.0.10 at o2ib:/crew8

...and it hangs here.

The MGS/MDT reads in /var/log/messages:
Sep  8 13:06:45 mds1 kernel: Lustre: crew8-MDT0000: temporarily
refusing client connection from 172.18.0.11 at o2ib
Sep  8 13:06:45 mds1 kernel: LustreError:
3355:0:(ldlm_lib.c:1442:target_send_reply_msg()) @@@ processing error
(-11)  req at ffff81005e27c400 x95936659/t0 o38-><?>@<?>:-1 lens 240/0
ref 0 fl Interpret:/0/0 rc -11/0

There are no errors on the OSS.  The lctl pings on the IB connection
return without errors.

Why am I not able to mount the lustre disk on the client?   Why is the
"connection temporarily refused"?

Suggestions appreciated.

megan