[Lustre-discuss] fast traverse

Peter Grandi pg_lus at lus.for.sabi.co.UK
Thu Sep 11 09:42:53 PDT 2008

> I have a filesystem with over 1m directories which are filled
> with hourly temperatures of a controller environment for
> years. [ ... ]

Using *any* filesystem as a database-of-record is usually an
exceptionally bad and irrecoverable idea. Using a network
filesystem with split metadata/data servers as such is beneath
comment. Perhaps it may be too late for the case above, but
perhaps not. Consider the difference here:

  http://WWW.sabi.co.UK/blog/0802feb.html#080216

Most performance problems resulting from the usage patterns like
the above can only be fixed by serious amounts of cash or as-yet
undiscovered research advances.