[Lustre-discuss] Installation of Lustre on ubuntu /Debian

Thu Sep 11 10:05:20 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 18:11 +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:

> Why should you need to use module-assistent?

Just because it seems to be promoted as the "official" way to build
kernel module packages.

> All you need to do is to compile
> Lustre and put the .ko files into a debian package?

Indeed.  m-a just seemed like a nice neat way to do that be immune from
futurisms as any futurisms would presumably be incorporated into m-a.

Basically it's just a case of trying to use "official interfaces".

> I don't know if it is really important, since there is already a debian way to
> create packages. Actually in Lenny all packages are included and only the
> kernel modules have to be build, but even that can be easily done
> by "aptitude install lustre-source".

Yeah, this is all great for users.  It doesn't help developers though,
with a lustre source code pool that needs to build and test packages.

> Well o.k., I see your point when it comes to build a new lustre
> version, which is not in -stable yet.

That too.

> But for that there is always the
> possibility to backport the stuff from Debian Sid (unstable).
> All of this applies to Ubuntu as well.

None of it covers the developer's workflow to getting to something
reasonable to include in a (i.e. backports) repository though.

> Patrick, Goswin and I certainly can help you (Patrick and Goswin have by far
> more experience to create clean packages than I have).

Any contributions will be most welcome.

b.